DALLAS, USA: Texas Instruments Inc. (TI) has introduced the industry's first integrated HDMI interface companion chip to the core HDMI controller for portable applications.
The TPD12S015 incorporates all the major components required for an HDMI interface, including eight low-capacitance electrostatic discharge (ESD) clamps, I2C level shifters, and a DC/DC converter, saving 75 percent board space for the HDMI interface and significantly reducing overall system cost when compared to discrete implementations.
Designers can use the TPD12S015 with TI's OMAP(TM) applications processors or similar processors in a wide range of portable applications including smartphones, camcorders, digital still cameras and portable game consoles.
Key features and benefits of TPD12S015
* The TPD12S015 allows HDMI 1.3 data rates and provides IEC61000-4-2 (Level 4) ESD protection.
* Internal boost converter generates 5 V from a 2.3-V to 5.5-V battery voltage, which eliminates the need for an on-board 5-V supply to drive the HDMI 5-V output pin.
* Matched HDMI Class-C pin-mapping eliminates board design layout skew that typically occurs with discrete implementations.
* Auto-direction sensing level shifter with integrated pull-ups and edge-rate control circuits eliminate the need for an additional on board I2C cable driver circuit.
* Integrated ESD clamps and resistors ensure good matching between each differential signal pair to avoid differential signal quality degradation.
The TPD12S015 is in volume production today with samples ready to ship. This device comes in an industry-leading, small-footprint WCSP package (1.6x2.8 mm) with 0.4-mm pitch.