USA: The Global Semiconductor Alliance GSA releases March/Q1 2011 statistics from its Global Semiconductor Funding, IPO and M&A update, including:
* In March 2011, seven semiconductor companies (i.e., fabless companies and semiconductor suppliers) raised $191.7 million, a dollar amount increase of 534.8% from February 2011 and a decrease of 9.6% from March 2010. The number of deals closed increased by three month-over-month (MoM) and decreased by 13 year-over-year (YoY).
* In Q1 2011, 21 semiconductor companies raised $407.1 million, a dollar amount increase of 105.4 percent over Q4 2010 and a decrease of 10.3 percent over Q1 2010.
* On March 10, 2011, South Korea-based MagnaChip Semiconductor priced its IPO in the US towards the low end of its range at $14.00, raising $133.0 million and becoming the third semiconductor company to price this year.
* Three companies, BCD Semiconductor, NeoPhotonics and MagnaChip, went public in Q1 2011, raising a total of $278.5 million through their IPOs.
* In March 2011, nine semiconductor mergers and acquisitions (M&As) were announced (i.e., M&As of entire fabless, IDM and semiconductor supplier companies, not sectors/product lines or foundry facilities), increasing by one deal MoM and decreasing by two deals YoY.
* In Q1 2011, 28 semiconductor M&A deals were announced, increasing by one deal QoQ and decreasing by two deals YoY.