SAN JOSE, USA: The Global Semiconductor Alliance (GSA), the voice of the global semiconductor industry, released July statistics from its Global Semiconductor Funding, IPO and M&A update, including the following information:
* In July, four semiconductor companies raised $81.6 million, down 46.8 percent from the $153.5 million raised in June 2011. However, the dollar amount total increased 92.9 percent from the $42.3 million raised in July 2010. The number of deals closed decreased by eight MoM and by three YoY.
* In July, fabless companies were the only semiconductor companies funded.
* For the second consecutive month, zero semiconductor companies priced. However, July saw two semiconductor companies file for an initial public offering (IPO) —Intermolecular and Cirtek Electronics.
* When looking at the closing stock prices posted on July 29 for those companies that priced in 2011, with the exception of Ingenic Semiconductor, zero companies posted a higher stock price than their offer price.
* In July, the number of semiconductor mergers and acquisitions (M&As) announced (i.e., M&As of entire fabless, IDM and semiconductor supplier companies, not sectors/product lines or foundry facilities) increased by three MoM and one YoY.