DALLAS, USA: Representing a new era in development, Texas Instruments Inc. (TI) today announced the eZ430-Chronos, the world's first customizable development environment within a sports watch.
Taking the popular line of eZ430 development tools to the next level, the kit allows developers to easily harness the leading integration, ultra-low power and wireless capabilities of TI's CC430 microcontroller (MCU).
Priced at $49, Chronos is designed to provide customers with all of the hardware and software needed to immediately begin development of wireless networking applications, regardless of programming expertise.
It is equipped with sensors for measurement and motion-based control and can serve as a central hub for nearby wireless sensors so that users have remote access to real-time data from devices such as pedometers and heart rate monitors.
Additionally, Chronos includes a USB-RF access point for wireless set-up and PC connectivity, as well as multiple production-ready open source projects to foster easy evaluation, design and community collaboration.
Key features and benefits of eZ430-Chronos
* Wearable form factor allows customers to conveniently develop in remote locations.
* TI's SimpliciTI and BM Innovations' Blue Robin RF protocols enable developers to easily establish wireless links regardless of RF knowledge, right out of the box.
* Available in three different RF frequency bands - 915, 868, and 433 MHz - allowing for worldwide usage.
* Integrated 3-axis accelerometer for motion sensitive control as well as sensors for measurement, including altimeter, temperature and battery voltage.
* Internal CC430 memory available for data storage, holding up to 11 hours of data such as heart rate.
* eZ430 emulator for simplified programming and debugging on top of base software framework and RF functions.
* USB-RF access point for PC communication and automation, supported by production-ready source projects, including, but not limited to, motion-based mouse control, sensor data logging with wireless PC download, keyboard and presentation control as well as time and calendar sync.
* Large 96 segment LCD display driven directly by CC430.
* Low cost system includes all supporting hardware and software, increasing accessibility and reducing development cost.
In order to provide customers with the most comprehensive, easy-to-use development kit, TI collaborated with several industry leaders in the creation of the eZ430-Chronos. These third parties include:
* BM Innovations, a development specialist for electronic equipment in the sports and fitness market.
* IDT, a leading manufacturer for electronic products in sports, fitness and healthcare.
* Johanson Technology, a provider of ceramic components that optimize RF front end designs.
* VTI Technologies, a leading provider of acceleration, inclination, motion and pressure sensor solutions.
* Chronos is supported by these and other TI MSP430(TM) MCU Developer Network members, providing customers with a robust support ecosystem.