SCOTTSDALE, USA: All of the old assumptions and forecasts regarding IC industry capacity trends are no longer valid. With companies struggling to survive the downturn, IC manufacturing strategies have been dramatically altered and changed forever! Consider the following:
* With 45 fabs closing in 2009-2010, a record amount of IC capacity is being taken off-line.
* China is shifting its strategic focus toward supporting the fabless business model.
* The top three European IC manufacturers have now fully embraced the fab-lite strategy.
* Capital spending budgets for new fabs and equipment have been slashed.
* A bleak outlook for new "greenfield" fabs in the US and Europe.
* Leading-edge technologies are more expensive than ever to develop, but are needed to improve performance and/or reduce the cost to manufacture ICs.
IC Insights' new Global Wafer Capacity Analysis and Forecast 2009 study describes how all of these trends will have a major impact on the IC industry going forward. The report is an ideal tool for examining the industry's supply-versus-demand conditions.
This study greatly assists IC materials and equipment suppliers in creating their long-term strategic marketing plans by showing current industry capacity, projecting future capacity loads, and dissecting capacity data in several categories and regions.
IC Insights' Global Wafer Capacity Analysis and Forecast 2009 offers the most cost effective and thorough examination and five-year forecast of the IC industry's fab capacity available anywhere.